Monday, April 19, 2010

Florida: New Smyrna Beach

New Smyrna Beach was a great beach for little kids.  The water came in very far and was really shallow, perfect for little Alejandro to run around in.  Natalia and Hannah became addicted to body surfing and did really well at it (see video below).  I got my fair share of body surfing with Greg, always fun.  Except this time out in the water I got bit by a small shark.  It was a very soft bite that didn't even break the skin on my foot, kind of a feeler bite really, but it scared the crap out of me.  I figured I'd play it safe and so Greg and I moved about 20 yards down and kept on body surfing.  I later found out that New Smyrna Beach is the shark attack capital of the world.  Check out these pictures taken from New Smyrna Beach.  The good thing is that these attacks almost never result in fatalities.

New Smyrna Beach fue la playa ideal para los niños chiquitos.  Las olas se metían mucho en la orilla y no era muy profunda, condición perfecta para que Alejandrillo corriera y jugara.  Natalia y Hannah se hicieron adictas al nuevo deporte de barrenar olas y las dos lo hacían muy bien (ve el video abajo).  Greg y yo barrenamos olas lo suficiente también, siempre divertido.  Pero esta vez en el agua un tiburón chiquito me mordió el pie.  Fue una mordida muy suave que no rompió la piel pero ¡cómo me asustó!  Greg y yo pensamos mejor no jugarnos la vida así que nos apartamos unos 20 metros y seguimos barrenando olas.  Luego me di cuenta que New Smyrna Beach es la capital mundial de ataques de tiburón.  Hay que ver estas fotos que se sacaron en New Smyrna Beach.  Lo bueno es que estos ataques casi nunca terminan en muerte.

No comments: