Monday, May 25, 2009

Calm Before the Storm???

Saludos from.......España!!! After a grueling trip (22 hours including layovers, other delays and the drive from Madrid to Jaén) we have arrived. At the beginning of the trip Alejandro was doing really well. I was worried about a complete travel catastrophe since he loves to wiggle so much and hates to be restrained. So far so good. I even commented to Eli that this might be the calm before the storm.....and that storm came. We made it from Indy to Cincinnati and from there to New York but during the last few hours of the flight to Madrid Alejandro couldn't take any more. Finally we arrived and he slept most of the way to Jaen in the car.

Rafa, Eli's brother, and his wife Lidia picked us up at the airport and, after a some turns and glorietas, told us he didn't know where he was. He also said that he has come many times to the airport but manages to make it home a different way each time. I was thinking "how hard can it be to go there and back especially if you have been numerous times?" A little bit later, somewhere in Madrid, Rafa finally stopped in a gas station and asked a cab driver how to get to Jaen. After a few minutes of thinking about it, he gave us directions. I realized that if a Madrid cab driver has to take a minute to think about how to get onto a certain interstate from somewhere in Madrid, a simple trip from the airport to Jaen may just be harder than I thought.

The good think about getting a little turned around in Madrid was that we were able to drive around "La Puerta de Alcalá" which is in the center of the city. It was cool because we generally don't usually spent time in Madrid.

3 comments:

hercstall said...

Holy cow, Ben. Your blog is hilarious, especially the part with Natalia singing to chase her smile away. What are you teaching these kids???

Unknown said...

Ben....glad you guys made it...check facebook sometime...I have a couple questions for you guys....

Unknown said...

No Dan, that is all Natalia. She came up with that version all on her own. It was crazy funny.